[FFmpeg-devel] New format: Monkey's Audio Codec (ape)

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri May 18 18:54:05 CEST 2007

On 18 May 2007, at 17:42, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Louise Hoffman wrote:
>> Okay, so what you are saying is, that there is not a very strong pull
>> to implement it because it is not version compatible?
>
> Basically because wavpack and flac do a better job w/out being
> obnoxious.

Though the counter pull is popularity of Monkey's Audio.

>> I recall once trying to decode an ape file where the decode was too
>> old, and it failed. As long as it fails and doesn't decode it wrong,
>> would it be possible to detect for compatibility?
>
> everything is possible as long it isn't maliciously crafted ^^

Right. See below.

>> Or is it a matter of always have the latest decoder (into ffmpeg)?
>
> Another problem in implementing the beast is having to support those
> different encodings (using quirks like for mpeg4
> broken/incomplete/"creative" implementations?)...

There could only be support for the current implementation in FFmpeg
and inform users that they have to recompress their files with the
current implementation to be able to use them, maybe if we're nice,
displaying which version the file was encoded with and which version
FFmpeg supports.

Counter-hugs,
Rob