[FFmpeg-devel] Bounties?

Robert Swain robert.swain
Thu May 24 14:20:56 CEST 2007

On 24 May 2007, at 07:32, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Piero Bugoni wrote:
>> This sounds fine, but while we are on the subject, and
>> since I do not know, what are the codec and storage
>> parameters used by iPods? Is ffmpeg currently unable
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_ipod
>
>> to produce such output? Is the goal to load and manage
>> the  iPod with ffmpeg, or simply to produce a file
>> that can be loaded on an iPod using iTunes, or some
>> other program?
>
> Scenario: End user wants to convert random-video-file.avi to a file
> that
> will play on his video iPod. We could overload the user with a
> bunch of
> jargon about container formats, A/V codecs, maximum bitrates and an
> endless array of tweakable options.
>
> Or we can just give the user a '-ipod' option that will "do the right
> thing" (convert to 320x240, chooses the right framerate and bitrate).
> Or, more likely, '-profile ipod', which will allow for more profiles
> like PSP, another popular target.
>
> It may not be quite that easy. Not sure about all the parameters, but
> there are probably different capability levels for different iPods
> (ones
> that support MPEG-4 video and ones that support H.264). But that's
> the idea.

*sigh*

http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ipod-video-guide/
http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/psp-video-guide/
http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ffmpeg-x264-encoding-guide/

You can plug my pages Mike, I did work on them so people would be
able to produce iPod/PSP compatible files from FFmpeg using x264 and
FAAC. ;p

Rob