[FFmpeg-devel] Bounties?

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri May 25 00:42:49 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 10:42:55PM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:

> >>it's the first time I see a diminutive longer than the original name :)
> >
> >Huh?  In Italian it's Nico --> Nicolino (Nicoleto?)
>
> argh, absolutely ridicolous :) My name can't be shortened in any way
>
> > IIRC, in Spanish it's
> >Diego --> Dieguito.
>
> according to dictionary I'm reading in english "diminutive" is used to
> indicate both a short-form of the original name and a variant used to
> fondle someone ("vezzeggiativo" in italian, as for "Dieguito").

You are misunderstanding your dictionary then I think.  "diminutive"
denotes either something very small in size or the diminutive form of a
noun.  The latter is used to label a small version of the original noun.
When applied to the names of persons it's often meant affectionately,
i.e. for children or loved ones.

Diego