[FFmpeg-devel] the future of fastmemcpy.h

Arpi arpi
Sat May 26 20:33:18 CEST 2007

Hi,

> > > you have my agreement for LGPL-ing the parts of fastmemcpy i wrote
> > > but IIRC part of the fastmemcpy code came from the linux kernel though
> > > maybe i remember that wrong its a long time ago ...
> >
> > The file consists largely of two functions, memcpy_pic() and
> > mem2agpcpy().  The first was added by Arpi in r5505, the second by you
> > in r4682.  Arpi, did you write that function yourself or where did it
> > come from?  And if it's completely your code, do you agree to LGPL it?
>
> >From initial checkin: http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/
> libvo/fastmemcpy.h?revision=359&view=markup
>
>  This part of code was taken by from Linux-2.4.3 and slightly modified
> for MMX2 instruction set. I have done it since linux uses page aligned
> blocks but mplayer uses weakly ordered data and original sources can not
> speedup their. Only using prefetch and movntq together have effect!
> If you have questions please contact with me: Nick Kurshev: nickols_k at mail.ru.
>
> Changes in revisions:
> 369, 371 oneliners (arpi)
> 377 P3 fix, asm changes (arpi)
> 410 SSE support (nick)
> 478 3dnow support (from kernel 2.4.2) (pontscho)
> 479, 514 minor changes (pontscho)
> 568 sse fix (arpi)
> 582 new sse code (atmos)
> 645 optimized sse for athlon (atmos)
> 686 minor change (arpi)
> 699 creating aclib.c (nick)

at this point the interetsing code has been moved to aclib*.c

fastmemcpy.h is only the declarations and 2 simple trivial
wrapper to handle pic types (array of 3 pointer pairs) instead
of single copies.

aclib is problematic, due to kernel code, as it's GPL and
nobody knows who was the original author...
anyway i bet (almost) nothing left from original kernel
version as Nick, Atmos and Michael rewrote these functions
over time...

A'rpi