[FFmpeg-devel] snow developement - donations

Attila Kinali attila
Sat May 26 21:06:32 CEST 2007

Hoi Michael,

On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:11:15 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> also i really would wish more people would contribute to snow, there are so
> many simple things people could do, some examples:
> * read the code and ask questions about what you dont understand, then
>   document these things or simplify the code so others have less problems
>   understanding it

If you call that simple....
I read parts of the theory behind wavelet based codecs.
Though, fourier was a piece of cake for me, i don't think
i fully understood how wavelets work in practice. It might
very well be that i'm just dumb, but i don't think that
working on video codecs in general and on wavelet based
codecs in particular is an easy task.

Ok, a lot of the difficulty comes from the lack of
good documentation and learning material. The multimedia
wiki is a good start but IMHO just a drop in a bucket.

IMHO this is also the reason why there are so little
video codec/player/etc developers. It is very hard to
learn by yourself and you need a very high frustration
limit.

IMHO we should write our own book on how video codecs
muxers/demuxers etc work so that people interested in
it can have an easier path to learn. I started such a
book years ago, but failed, mostly due to lack of time
and lack of material to read and learn from. But given
the amount of knowledge here on ffmpeg-devel it should
be possible to write such a book in no-time, if a few
people would work together.

				Attila Kinali
--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann