[FFmpeg-devel] 'Full checkout'snapshots

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Tue May 29 12:05:24 CEST 2007

Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 11:45:35AM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> If you cant update with svn, what is the use of a snapshot that *might*
>> be updated with svn? And if you can update with svn, why download a
>> snapshot?
>
> For example that initial checkouts are horribly slow

Come on, it takes about 15" on a typical 'family-size' ADSL.

> and transfer a lot of
> data with svn?

Which IIUC you need for later svn update, hence will be in the tarball.

> Back when I still used dialup I think the tarballs were 3-4 times
> as fast to download... http/ftp downloads contrary to svn also have a
> progress bar and time estimates. And last but not least, you can not
> only do svn update but also svn diff and svn revert...

I understand all the advantages of svn, and I use it. The problem is
producing svn-enabled tarballs that will produce the correct version
number when svn is operational (that works currently) or not (does NOT
work now).

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director