[FFmpeg-devel] movenc produces improper QuickTime files

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes
Wed May 30 00:43:23 CEST 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007 00:04:10 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> umm [1] does not look like the quicktime spec so i fear its contents
> have no relevance here
Okay, well, I tried to find the best thing from [2] that had some
specific value.

[2] http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MOV

> movenc does not use anything besides the value it is told to use
> and that one is in your case likely simply what the input file used
> using any other value is incorrect
Well, it uses only the denominator of the time_base...

> ask your favorite math professor/teacher/book why you cant just use 3
> instead of pi ...
3.14 is not pi either...

> before a fix comes a bugreport, and between fix and bugreport comes
> some anaysis of the problem, you are jumping over a few things here
> and are lucky i dont flame you to death for trying to hack the
> timebase in the demuxer
Okay, so let me try to explain the problem the best I can:

QuickTime does not support MOV/ISO Media/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it
files that have mdhd atoms version 1 (64-bit based time), it only
accepts version 0 (32-bit based time). Sure, it can be called a bug in
QuickTime, but at least I expected ffmpeg to produce QT-playable files
when declaring them being QuickTime files (the "qt  " specifier at the
begin of the file should identify the file as QuickTime-compatible, or
am I wrong?).

FFmpeg produces files with a timebase too big (10000000), which easily
requires mdhd to move to version 1 and then be QuickTime-incompatible.

[note: mp4creator from mpeg4ip also has this option:

  -use64bitstime          Use for 64 Bit times (not QT player
compatible)

which seems again to point to QT not being able to cope with mdhd
version 1.]

Now that I exposed the problem, let met try to suggest a possible
solution: as I said my patch was incomplete and broken; probably a
better patch would have a check that the selected output mode is
QuickTime rather than other ISO media format, and then try to reduce
the timebase to a value that can fit 32-bit unsigned integers.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Petten?
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/