[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] r10889?-?trunk/libavcodec/allcodecs.c

Rich Felker dalias
Thu Nov 1 05:22:04 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:30:08AM +0200, Ismail D?nmez wrote:
> > would you bet on some volunteer implementing it in 5 years if libvorbis
> > stays default?
>
> No, but writing a good audio encoder is very hard afaik due to
> psyco-acoustics.

IMO this is FUD. Psycho-acoustic models are well-documented; it's just
a matter of implementing them, which should be pretty easy using the
dsputil toolbox.

> > > Regards,
> > > ismail aka "I want my -ac mp3 back"
> >
> > just write a native mp3 encoder
>
> My point exactly, noone challenged lame ever ;)

Which is a shame, because lame generates lots of artifacts that other
ancient unmaintained encoders did not, presumably due to broken
psycho-acoustic model. Of course these other encoders gave lower
average quality at same bitrate, but not the blatent chirps and
such...

BTW I had an evil idea to add native 'mp3' encoder to lavc just by
copying the mp2 encoder but making it translate the bitstream output
to mp3 syntax. While discussing it with a friend yesterday we also
surmised that this might keep away the patent trolls by not using any
mp3-specific algorithms...

Rich