[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Arpi arpi
Sun Nov 4 23:32:04 CET 2007

Hi,

> fwiw on my Leopard partition, I'm busy compiling all the
> prerequisite projects to use the new SDK, and have been seeing
> a number of "new" problems with the new ld, some of which can
> be "googled" for remedies but not all are bypassed yet.  Mostly
> the folks at MacPorts seem to be on top of things, so I figure
> soon enough Apple will know all about these new problems I
> hope.  ;)

I also had problems compiling glib2 (tried both Fink and Macports
- same issue), linkedr failed due to too big relative symbols.
Also compiling MC had some inline symbol clashes in glib2 headers.
But mplayer svn snapshot compiled fine, without problems.
(using osx 10.5, powepc g5, gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465))

> Yes it's the -O1 that _finally_ fixed the issue with me on
> Tiger, any -O higher will introduce the register problem in
> dsputil_mmx.c with Apple's compiler.

Afaik they switched from plain gcc to using gcc with LLVM backend:
http://llvm.org/
(it's a low-level cpu-independent code optimizer framework)

it explains some linker incompatibility issues, especially
for inline asm code.

A'rpi