[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG index entries

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi
Tue Nov 6 16:48:14 CET 2007

Il Tuesday 06 November 2007 16:26:30 Taylan O. Toygarlar ha scritto:
> Thanks for your reply Nico..
>
> I know that mpeg files don't have indexes, and that's actually
> where the problem starts. I cannot convert my files for two
> reasons, first I have a huge amount of dataset(1000s of hours), and
> second, some files are reached through network, or harddisk images
> for which I have written url handlers for ffmpeg to work with, and
> which should stay actually read-only.
>
> I have succeeded in having frame accuracy by saving the positions
> of keyframes to an external index file, and then jumping to the
> keyframes positions, but the parser/demuxer I used was
> external(It's actually modified from AVIDemux source code), and
> they failed for some mpegs we had. So now I want to manage the same
> thing from inside ffmpeg libraries, which, in theory, should be
> possible.

please, don't top post.
You can also try mplayer's own mpeg demuxer: it's full of hacks
and overall it sucks, but if there aren't timestamp
resets it provides decent seeking capabilities (always aligned to
keyframes) on filestreams (if you want the same on network
streams just disable the check on the stream type)