[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] adding 'dist' rule to makefiles

Dejan Sakelsak sakdean
Tue Nov 13 00:00:02 CET 2007

The previously posted patches are obsolete now. Tomorrow i will poste
new working ones.

On 11/12/07, M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
> "Ronald S. Bultje" <rsbultje at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Nov 12, 2007 7:12 AM, Dejan Sakelsak <sakdean at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> generates a ffmpeg.tar.gz tarball in $(SRC_PATH)
> >>
> >> i hope, the patch will come handy and be applied.
> >
> > As for the patch, a lot of stuff can be generalized in config.mak (make dist
> > is copied 3 times, for example). More interesting would be a
> > co-implementation of make distcheck on top of this (only for the top-level
> > dir, fairly easy).
>
> It will only become interesting when you prove the usefulness of it.

When i was writing this patch i browsed trough almost 30 rules in the Makefiles,
can you really prove useful all them? I guess not.
This patch is long just some lines, and will add a new feature that
should be not so difficult to maintain and it will make happy us
integrating ffmpeg in the gstreamer plugins and many other projects
because they will have the option to make a clean tarball by using
this rule.

> > Maybe here's some nice bone for Diego to bite in: implement those
> > two, be it with this patch or another, and I'll drop my
> > autotools.patch, completely.
>
> I fail to see the connection.  Did you ever consider a career in politics?

Guys, there's no gain in biting each other about something we can discuss.

We are not attacking ffmpeg in any way, we just want to help ourselves
by contributing something to ffmpeg.

good night
Dejan