[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] adding 'dist' rule to makefiles

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Tue Nov 13 18:04:01 CET 2007

On Tuesday, 13 November 2007 at 03:06, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2007 7:50 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > > Poke accepted, but here's one thing: if several ffmpeg "users", in this
> > case
> > > not people writing media applications or such, but people trying to
> > package
> > > ffmpeg, would like to see a make dist (and that seems to be the case),
> > would
> > > it be allowed upstream (of course if it's clean etc.)?
> >
> > I repeat, packagers are using already other means to create snapshots,
> > usually simpler and based on the scm they like...
>

> I've repeated several times now that the scm snapshot may not be exactly
> what you want to ship in a tarball, and that is true for ffmpeg as well. I
> ship ffmpeg (with elaborate workarounds, like creating a whole auto* toolset
> around it), I would know, right?
>
> So, third time, given that users (packagers) of ffmpeg - even though they
> are indeed currently able to build tarballs with elaborate workarounds -
> would like a make dist (and related), could it go in?
>
> (Sorry to have to make this point, but if it was really that easy with
> current tools / setup, don't you think ffmpeg would be making releases? And
> now dare answer this instead of bullshit around.)

I really don't know what difficulties are you talking about. I'm maintaining
perfectly usable ffmpeg packages for livna without any "elaborate workarounds".

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org