[FFmpeg-devel] Integrating ffprobe into FFmpeg?

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Nov 15 14:29:32 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:47:23PM +0100, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>
> > On date Wednesday 2007-11-14 15:43:22 +0100, Alex Beregszaszi encoded:

> > > What about importing that tool into ffmpeg?
> >
> > I originally designed ffprobe to be a part of FF-mpeg (and indeed it
> > shares code/design with it), and to me it would be still a good idea
> > to integrate it in FF-mpeg (no code duplication, better integration
> > with FF-mpeg and easier accessibility for the FF-mpeg users), if the
> > others maintainers agree and are not too much bothered by the many
> > problems it still has.
>
> I don't know if adding some GPLv3 code in FFmpeg is such a good idea.
> It would add to the licensing confusion.
> I would personally prefer seeing it licensed under LGPL or at least
> GPLv2 or later if it gets included in FFmpeg.

I completely agree, but if you look at the ffprobe tree again, you will
notice that it contains the text of the GPL v3 in the COPYING file, but
ffprobe.c is marked as LGPL v2.1+.

Licensing confusion at its best.  I feel vindicated for my efforts to
clean up the licensing situation of FFmpeg.

Diego