[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Split libavformat

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Nov 22 13:54:58 CET 2007

Hi Aurelien,

Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> Luca Abeni wrote:
>
>>> - Both avdevice_register_all avnet_register_all call
>>> av_register_all, why?
>> Because to use libavdevice or libavnet we need to initialize
>> libavformat,
>
> av_register_all() *don't* initialize libavformat !
> Here is what it does:
>  - initialize lavc
>  - register all codecs
>  - register all formats

Well, this is what I meant with "initialize libavformat" (by
"initialize" I meant: "do everything is needed to use muxers and
demuxers"), sorry for having used a bad wording...

> I guess the last 2 steps are not needed to make use of
> libavdevice (not sure about 1st step).

I was not sure about this, so I decided to go the safe way...
In particular, I do not know if dv1394 needs the dv demuxer
(if calling av_register_all() inside av_device_register_all()
is a problem, I'll have a better look at the dv code...)

> I don't like this call to av_register_all. (And I think
> av_register_all should be renamed to avformat_register_all
> anyway)

I agree that it should be renamed. But one of my goals was
to split libavformat without creating problems to its users.
Unless I am missing something, applications that do not need
network or device grabbers are not affected by this split.

Anyway, removing the call to av_register_all() is not a big
problem. I am updating the patches.

			Luca