[FFmpeg-devel] [OT] ffmpeg git

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Nov 26 23:14:36 CET 2007

Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 20:01 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 03:47:11PM -0300, Gonzalo Garramu?o wrote:
>> > I've read several messages from developers using git for development.
>> > Since I find that revision control system much better, I was wondering
>> > what was a good mirror.
>>
>> There may be some mirror (though it would only be read-only), but I and
>> probably everyone else just uses git-svn.
>
> If lots of people start creating their initial git-svn checkouts using
> the svn protocol that could cause significant load and bandwidth use
> (even more so for MPlayer with its larger history). Creating a git-svn
> repository clonable with the git protocol would allow faster and less
> resource-hungry creation of new git-svn checkouts. It wouldn't
> necessarily even need to be kept up to date - the latest commits could
> be fetched with normal "git-svn rebase". The git-svn manpage has details
> about how to create a local git-svn checkout from such an initial clone.
> Once a git-clonable repository exists those instructions could be
> published on FFmpeg/MPlayer websites.

There are Git repos of FFMpeg and libswscale at git.mplayerhq.hu,
available using git or http protocol.  Both are kept in sync with svn
automatically.  If there is interest, I could easily create a full
MPlayer repo.  Doing the import on the server is much faster than over
the net...

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com