[FFmpeg-devel] [OT] ffmpeg git

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Nov 27 00:15:43 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 22:14 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:
> > If lots of people start creating their initial git-svn checkouts using
> > the svn protocol that could cause significant load and bandwidth use
> > (even more so for MPlayer with its larger history). Creating a git-svn
> > repository clonable with the git protocol would allow faster and less

> There are Git repos of FFMpeg and libswscale at git.mplayerhq.hu,
> available using git or http protocol.  Both are kept in sync with svn
> automatically.

I remembered those existed but for some reason thought they were not
git-svn repos (as they seem to be). However even though they're git-svn
repos they don't seem to work in git-svn using the method shown on the
git-svn manpage. This is probably because they use a local "file://" URL
as the git-svn-id value in the commit messages which makes rebuilding of
the git-svn specific metadata after git clone fail. It would probably be
possible to work around that somehow (by rewriting all the commit
messages after cloning if nothing else...), but at least it would need
to be documented. The method for creating a git-svn checkout from a git
clone that is given on the git-svn manpage is already non-obvious enough
to be worth documenting separately instead of expecting people to find
it based only on knowing about the existence of a git mirror.

>   If there is interest, I could easily create a full
> MPlayer repo.  Doing the import on the server is much faster than over
> the net...

I think it would be useful to have one.