[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Split libavformat

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Tue Nov 27 14:35:07 CET 2007

Hi,

On Nov 27, 2007 2:59 AM, Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:

> Anyway, for the moment the only ffmpeg code that should be moved to
> libossupport
> is libavformat/os_support.* (and maybe some part of network.h?), right?

I think the question is: do we need/want libossupport?

Let's look at os_support.c; once we move to ipv4-indep. code, we can get rid
of inet_aton() in favour of inet_pton() or getnameinfo(),
resolve_host[_ipv6]() isn't an os_support function and would move to
network.c (new). Imo, ff_socket_nonblock() could move as static inline to
network.h (even though the implementation is different in the win-case, I
don't think it justifies itself being in a "OS support" library, because
it's not a missing function in that OS; it is just implemented differently,
kind of like BE vs. LE).

So that only leaves poll(), which is used in dv1394 (which should use
select(), not poll()) and in ffserver. Interestingly, poll() is right now
under CONFIG_FFSERVER, maybe that has to be fixed (unrelated to this
discussion), but you really want an OS support lib for this one function? (I
have no idea what OS this is, so I can't say if there's foreign libs
implementing poll for them that you could link to instead...)

I agree lavf is not the right place for poll(), I agree that if it existed,
libossupport would be the right place for it, but is libossupport the right
thing to set up and maintain? Can someone tell me what OSes lack poll() so I
can try and go look for other libs doing the same thing already?

Ronald