[FFmpeg-devel] PES packet length

Werner Altewischer werner.altewischer
Thu Nov 29 21:23:30 CET 2007

I notice that muxing an MPEG program stream sometimes gives a large overhead
(up to 5% of total stream size). I looked in the mpegenc.c file and it uses
a constant packet_size of 2048 bytes for any kind of stream. I assume that
increasing the packet size would lower this overhead.

- Is this assumption true
- Is it possible to increase this packet_size without consequences and if so
what would be the maximum value?
- Is it a good idea to distinguish between audio and video: make the
packet_size larger for video packets than for audio packets

Regards, Werner Altewischer