[FFmpeg-devel] libavutil simd

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Oct 2 01:38:16 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:04:02AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> >> you may use -maltivec (-mabi=altivec) only on the files in which you are
> >> effectively using altivec intrinsics.

well, that will make the code slower ...
the bugreports after all proof gcc did generate altivec from normal c code

> >> Possible is possible, the question is if it's worth the hassle. I always
> >> been on the "don't care" side, so it's fine for me .
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'm against hacks in the build system as well as
> > dirty unreliable detection methods.
>
> the build system won't have hacks but proper usage of Makefile

> (btw it's
> already done for sparc iirc)

and i would immedeatly approve a patch which removes the sigill detection
for sparc, its just noone posted a patch yet ...

[...]
> > e.g. if another project builds libav* in-tree like MPlayer does.
>
> That is an hack by definition...

indeed and i guess a patch would be welcome by diego ...
that is one which calls/uses ffmpeg configure/Makefile i think?

> > And, for the time being, this still seems to be the
> > preferred way to use libav*... Users of a library should not have to
> > be aware of hacks that library makes to support runtime CPU detection.
>
> I still consider saner put on an init function (to be run before you do
> ANYTHING) that switches the implementations according to the application
> requirements. How the application figures what to do is up to it.
>
> Sounds completely off?

letting the application call init_foobar(cpu_capabilities) and leave it
to the app to figure out cpu_capabilities is certainly possible but it
isnt exactly beautifull

but its certainly better then forking behind the apps back

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd