[FFmpeg-devel] PacketVideo PVPlayer lockup

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Oct 16 17:24:31 CEST 2007

Larry Reisler wrote:

> We have noted that certain versions of the PacketVideo PVPlayer on the Symbian
> handset lock up when they receive a .3gp file generated by ffmpeg (in fact,
> they lock up the whole phone).

That's not really our problem, is it?  You should file a bug report to
whoever wrote that app.

> After doing a comparison with other encoders (which generated playable files),
> it became clear that the major difference was that the other encoders either
> generated a udta block with data, or didn?t generate it at all.  It seems like
> the problem is that ffmpeg will generate a ?udta? tag even if there is not data
> in the block.  It seems like PacketVideo doesn?t like this.

What do the specs say about this block?  Is a zero-sized udta block legal?
If not, we should of course fix FFmpeg so as not to create such files.
That said, the player is still broken if it crashes on invalid data.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com