[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg and vlc non-standard MPEG2 TS sequence

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 18 20:59:49 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:38:08AM -0700, Amin Zia wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> The ffmpeg and VLC libraries are unable to generate
> standard timing stamps for MPEG2 TS, when
> encapsulating H.264 NAL units. It makes the TS
> unreadable for hardware decoders (I tested on Sencore
> products). This is based on many tests I run for
> different sequences. Just thought to share my
> experience.
>
> The reason, I think, is that in contrast to software
> decoders, a correct PCR value is vital for hardware
> decoders; something that both libraries are missing.
>
> Please let me know if anybosy have a comment on this.

the mpeg ts muxer in ffmpeg svn is trash
there was a google summer of code project to write a better mpeg ts
muxer, you can find the code in the soc svn
help to clean that up, split it into selfcontained and clean patches
and submit it for inclusion in ffmpeg is welcome
(and of course if you could tests the compliance of the streams generated
by the soc mpeg ts muxer that would also be very valuable for correcting
bugs in it ...)

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway