[FFmpeg-devel] PS3 Cell BE Optimizations

Kristian Jerpetjøn kristian.jerpetjoen
Sat Oct 20 12:33:46 CEST 2007

On 19/10/2007, M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
> "Timothy Baldridge" <tbaldridge at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > P.S. I just recalculated and got 177MB/sec:
> > 1920 * 1080 * 3bpp *30fps /1024/1024 = 177MB/sec
>
> I would guess, though do not know for sure, that the framebuffer is 4
> bytes per pixel.
>
> --
> M?ns Rullg?rd
> mans at mansr.com

My spu code easely runs with 1920x1080p at 60FPS to the framebuffer.
and the framebuffer easely updates my 1080p tv at the same rate
(tested working at 85FPS on a single spe).

Please take a look at the mplayer vo in spu-medialib as it handles the
colorspace converstion on the SPE same with the scaling so discussing
this is of no concern as this problem is already resolved.

The spu scaler with integrated colorspace conversion completely
offloads yv12/yuv420 scaling and colorspace conversion from the
ppu(powerpc/970) as can be proven using one of the old examples in
spu-medialib the load on the ppu when you take a single yuv420 image
scale it and send it in ARGB to the framebuffer  is 0. Since the only
thing the ppu does is say next frame.

I have tested a colorspace conversion directly and it can easely run
around 600MPixels on a single spe.

Since this is DMA as well it translates to 2.4GB a second

Please read up on my previous post as we already do 1920x1080p
playback of 1280x720 mpeg2 @60 FPS using the mplayer vo you can fetch
here :

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9187&sid=8b2533ae7bb13b4767b18a669a3a5735

Cheers