[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 + PAFF: BBC HD recording shows extreme interlacing artefacts

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Oct 28 02:01:18 CEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 01:29:22AM +0200, Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using FFmpeg successfully with vdr-xine for decoding H.264
> broadcasts. Recently, a user for vdr-xine reported extreme interlacing
> artefacts in some scenes of his recordings. If you have a look at this
> image, you can get an idea of this interlacing artefacts (which also
> appear when playing the recording with ffplay).
>
> http://home.vrweb.de/~rnissl/ffmpeg/bbc_hd.png
>
> Strange is that splitting the image into images which just contain odd
> or even lines respectively doesn't give you two "crisp" images. After
> splitting the odd lines image for example once again, I've got a crisp
> image and one which looks like luma and chroma don't match.
>
> This leads me to the conclusion that there might still be a decoding
> issue with H.264 + PAFF.
>
> Shall I upload this recording for further investigation?

no, there is no problem with decoding, the problem is in the yv12->rgb
convertion, the fields have to be converted seperately not like a frame

you can eiher send us a CLEAN patch which changes ffmpeg.c / ffplay.c
to support that or better implement it in libavfilter

to see some example on how to do it see libmpcodec/vf_scale.c in mplayer
svn

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his
enemies for the hardest victory is over self. -- Aristotle