[FFmpeg-devel] installing shared libraries fails after SVN 12598

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Thu Apr 3 03:33:52 CEST 2008

Dennis Volodomanov wrote:

> [...]

He means that although your reply had the same Subject line as the
message you were responding to, it did not have an In-Reply-To header,
and so it appears as the beginning of a new thread in any mail client
which understands how to do threads properly (i.e., just about every
mail client except for Outlook Express and possibly Outlook).

Also, while bottom-posting is an improvement, proper quoting involves
snipping out the parts you aren't responding to - specifically including
signatures and mailing list footers, such as the one I have left quoted
above. Better than bottom-posting is interleaved posting, of which this
message (like almost every other reply posted to this mailing list) is
an example.

Also, multi-line attribution blocks (aside from ones which are a single
line wrapped onto two or more because it would be too long otherwise)
are, in at least my opinion, annoying at best...

> I do find it strange that you jump to some conclusions based on some
> header text and attempt a personal attack though.

I don't see a personal attack, and I'm having a hard time seeing what
conclusions you're saying he was jumping to. Are you saying that you do
*not* use Outlook and/or Exchange, much less in conjunction with one
another?

It's more or less undeniable that there does seem to be a strong
correlation between use of those programs and failure to adhere to
established mail standards (either in quoting or in threading)... I am
now forced to use Outlook at work (the alternative being to quit, which
I am still seriously considering if I can find a remotely reasonable
alternative), and have to go well out of my way to avoid quoting
incorrectly, though fortunately Outlook 2003 does seem to understand how
to set an In-Reply-To header.

--
    The Wanderer

    My usual .sig is on vacation while I adjust to my new computer