[FFmpeg-devel] Problems compiling FFMPEG in MingW

Ramiro Polla ramiro
Fri Apr 4 11:39:31 CEST 2008

> > and will just make it look like nobody cares or is willing
> > to help him.
>
> But this is true!  I am not willing to help people out with compilation
> problems, nor do I care about "Me trouble wav file, need libavcodecs
> assistance, pls help, urgent job !!!".  If I were, I would be subscribed
> to the mailing lists where people interested in helping out others with
> such troubles go...

Most times I'm not interested either, but some people at ffmpeg-user
still are. So pointing them there has more effect than saying "go-away".
[1][2][3] for example worked out alright.

> > Learning proper netiquette doesn't usually take long.
>
> It rather seems to me that it is getting harder and harder to fend off
> the new generation of people spoiled by knowing nothing but webmail

And luckily there are always some people from the previous new generation
(which learned proper netiquette because they got nice replies from this
list) that are still patient to reply to them.

[...]

> That said, I have no delusions about the effectiveness of these rants.
> Constantly telling people off will only get me/us frustrated while
> achieving next to nothing (apart from letting off some steam).  We need
> to find a technical solution and/or become much better at getting the
> information conveyed to the intended recipients.

I'm not volunteering for this, but some ideas are:
- make a standard reply that can be sent to these people personally
  and to the list explaining what they did wrong. Take a deep breath
  and write a nice reply for the last time =)
- check if their reply fixed the issue before accepting it into the list
- only accept thread hijacking and top-posting on approval. those should
  be easy to spot automatically.

Ramiro Polla

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/64376
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/15587