[FFmpeg-devel] Problems compiling FFMPEG in MingW

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi
Fri Apr 4 12:12:06 CEST 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008 11:39:31 Ramiro Polla wrote:
> > > and will just make it look like nobody cares or is willing
> > > to help him.
> >
> > But this is true!  I am not willing to help people out with
> > compilation problems, nor do I care about "Me trouble wav file,
> > need libavcodecs assistance, pls help, urgent job !!!".  If I
> > were, I would be subscribed to the mailing lists where people
> > interested in helping out others with such troubles go...
>
> Most times I'm not interested either, but some people at
> ffmpeg-user still are. So pointing them there has more effect than
> saying "go-away". [1][2][3] for example worked out alright.
>
> > > Learning proper netiquette doesn't usually take long.
> >
> > It rather seems to me that it is getting harder and harder to
> > fend off the new generation of people spoiled by knowing nothing
> > but webmail
>
> And luckily there are always some people from the previous new
> generation (which learned proper netiquette because they got nice
> replies from this list) that are still patient to reply to them.

I bet that in a couple of years you'll be extenuated just like
many others. The users on list has the power to make people's mood
really sour

> [...]
>
> > That said, I have no delusions about the effectiveness of these
> > rants. Constantly telling people off will only get me/us
> > frustrated while achieving next to nothing (apart from letting
> > off some steam).  We need to find a technical solution and/or
> > become much better at getting the information conveyed to the
> > intended recipients.
>
> I'm not volunteering for this, but some ideas are:
> - make a standard reply that can be sent to these people personally
>   and to the list explaining what they did wrong. Take a deep
> breath and write a nice reply for the last time =)
> - check if their reply fixed the issue before accepting it into the
> list - only accept thread hijacking and top-posting on approval.
> those should be easy to spot automatically.
>
> Ramiro Polla

IMO a good solution would be  changing the subscription page
with something custom explaining in details the posting policy