[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] be more kind with wrong psm in mpeg ps

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Apr 7 17:24:09 CEST 2008

Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Attached patch make ps demuxer correctly detects lpcm files with wrong
>>> psm (mplayer and vlc plays them correctly).
>>>
>>> Should fix wrong_psm_lpcm.mpg on mplayerhq.
>>>
>>> I think those checks are reasonable. Comments ?
>>
>> I don't like it.  It can break valid files.
>>

> Question is does it ?
>
> I'd like some real measures of the effects of the psm considering vlc
> and mplayer ignore it and play many files.
>
> if psm says AC3 or DTS then fine, but if psm says private data or mpeg1
> audio, it's reasonable to guess that it is not what psm says.

Why?  I admit that I can't recall ever seeing such a file, but I wouldn't
discount the possibility entirely.

IMO, people who create broken files don't deserve to have them played.
Rather than adding dubious support for broken files, create a tool
to edit the PSM.

> I think I'll ask for a vote on this, since I would really like being
> able to play those files.

Didn't we agree that voting is bad?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd