[FFmpeg-devel] Cleanup libswscale and reimplement GPL code under LGPL

Ramiro Polla ramiro
Wed Apr 9 01:11:48 CEST 2008

> I don't have any involvement with swscale, but may I ask why you
> seem to consider the GPL an unfortunate accident over the LGPL?
> From my point of view the exact opposite applies
> (because of the LGPL being parassites-friendly)

Well, if I don't want my entire product to be GPL just because of
the swscaler, I'll just go look for some proprietary code that
does the same.

Thinking about this, the GPL x86 SIMD code doesn't bother me that
much anymore, since I don't plan to work on a Set-Top Box using
x86 anyways. But it would be nice if the swscaler framework were
LGPL. Some parasite companies might be interested in extending it
to <arch> instead of just looking for proprietary alternatives.

Ramiro Polla