[FFmpeg-devel] GOM Player on the Blacklisted Projects

Francois Oligny-Lemieux eucloid
Thu Apr 10 01:59:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have good news!

As you might know the Free Software Foundation (FSF) answers questions
about licensing issues related to GPL/LGPL.

There are a few things that need to be straightened out. First on what
ffmpeg asks third-party developers who make their own modifications.
My first impression when reading the things asked by ffmpeg to the
person (Ethan) who had a third-party project was that my understanding
of the GPL/LGPL was probably not complete. I then went back reading
the full text and asked FSF multiple questions and found I had
understood it correctly. You will be interested in the results:

(i) To respect LGPL v2.b (also GPL v2.a), the developper needs only to
state at the top of the modified files the date when he first started
modifications. As everyone agrees a svn revision is recommended (but
unfortunately not sufficient (as Diego had foreseen) since according
to FSF not everyone has source control access). Anyway the FSF
requires just a copyright notice with the year and month on each
modified file (I was surprised they don't insists on the day). And for
subsequent changes on the same file, no additional dates are required
(that was the main gray area I needed to clarify). If someone would be
bothered about listing every change on a file, releasing under GPL v3
would clearly allow him just to produce a single date.

(ii) When I read that ffmpeg ask a svn revision and also requires a
diff, I asked myself to what part of the GPL does the diff requirement
comes from? The answer is none. While it helps developers, it's not a
license issue at all. Nowhere in a FSF license it is required to
produce a diff, to describe or explain the modifications done.

Below are the specific questions/answer asked to FSF:

> Q. What ffmpeg requires is that the new developer mention on which svn
> revision he branched the original tree (to comply apparently with GPL
> ?!? is this true?), and secondly, to produce a diff of its change (to
> comply with 2.a).

(FSF) << No, the requirement is that I (as an example of "any third party"),
should be able to acquire, from the new developer, the corresponding
source to build the same binary which the new developer is distributing. >>

> Q. When a new developer branches a GPL project into a new GPL project.
> Is he required to list all the date of all changes on every files part
> of the original GPL code that he himself modified after the branching ?

(FSF) << Generally speaking, yes, but this should not be done in an overly
cumbersome way. Note that if it would be too cumbersome to comply with
this term, then you would lose the freedom to modify the software.

To be more specific, you need to add a notice such as:

"This file was modified by YOUR NAME in April 2008" or even more tersely
just "Copyright 2008 YOUR NAME", stating when you first changed the
file. Anything else, including the dates of subsequent changes and their
description might be nice, but is not a requirement of the GPL.

Section 5(a) of GPLv3 states:

"The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it, and
giving a relevant date."

The FSF feels that this better reflects the meaning of the language
GPLv2 as well (one of the reasons GPLv3 is a better license is that many
of these issues have been cleared up considerably).

>    > Changes made:
>    >       Original source:
>    >               libavcodec version 51.40.4
>    >               libavutil version 49.4.0
>
>    That's a good start, but not very precise.  A sufficiently precise
>    answer would be the Subversion revision number you based your work on.
>
>    >       Changes:
>    >               libavcodec ported to win32 dll using MinGW
>
>    That's also a good start, but not precise enough.  A sufficiently
>    precise answer would be a diff file with your changes.

As a reminder, it's might be ok to ask to produce svn revision in
order to comply with GPL v2 section 2.b however to ask to produce a
diff (to someone who has already produced the full source code) and
ask it in a way that it is to comply with GPL/LGPL is not right. There
might be people reading ffmpeg-devel posts in order to educate
themselves on licensing issues (in order to not be on the blacklisted
projects) and care should be taken not to bring misconception about
GPL. I would say it's as bad as breaching a license to require
something on the behalf of a license that the license itself doesn't
require.

Good luck

Francois

P.S. There were other questions asked which are a bit off-topic but
could be of interest.