[FFmpeg-devel] RFC: setting format parameters from the URL

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Thu Apr 10 23:25:24 CEST 2008

Le duodi 22 germinal, an CCXVI, Ronald S. Bultje a ?crit?:
> Then add that helper on top of AVOption to your application (and possibly to
> ffmpeg.c). Don't add it to lav*, I'm glad all this crap will finally go away
> and AVOption is getting somewhere, I've waited for something like that for a
> long time.

The whole point is that this feature would be available in any program.
Think as an end-user, and consider the following cases:

1. One of the program you use allow to set the sample rate with the "-r
rate" syntax, another with the "-ar rate" syntax, another with "--ar=rate",
another either with "-R rate" or with "-O ar=rate", and two of them do not
allow to set the sample rate at all.

2. Same as the above, but you can also write "[ar=rate]filename" instead of
just "filename", and it always work exactly the same for all programs.

(Again, the syntax is only an example; I like this one though.)

Which one do you prefer?

As for myself, I choose 2 without hesitation, even if it means a few hundred
more line of code in a library.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George