[FFmpeg-devel] h264 and Spatial direct Mode, how can I help ?

Morfsta morfsta
Mon Apr 14 23:41:27 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> You misunderstand things a little
> you want it fixed -> you fix it
> you dont want it fixed -> you dont fix it
> you want someone else to fix it -> you pay someone else to fix it
>
> If you expect us to work for you for free then you have a serious problem
> with reality, we are volunteers and we work on what we consider fun. H.264
> especially PAFF work is not fun.

Errrm, search the list for the post in which I (and others) have asked
the question whether we could possibly fund some time to get it fixed
up - once you've found it then you can go ahead and make comment on my
problem with reality. Until then, is there a need to be quite so
arrogant?

We're not all expert C coders, some of us are hackers or scripters,
some of us can't code at all. Given the lack of support in H264 in
FFMPEG I managed to hack something together to assist with the
implementation of CoreAVC in xine for VDR but that's about the extent
of my skill. Was it fun trying to extract resolutions from H264 SPS?
Not really, but a whole lot more people can now watch H264 channels
with VDR now...

> Our H264 decoder does not support everything, no h264 decoder does, not
> even the reference decoder. If you want some specific feature supported
> its up to you to do the work. We will certainly help, awnser questions and
> review patches.

No, I agree. Which is why I mentioned that if we could only find the
problem with the spatial direct mode we'd  more than like be 99%
there.

BR,

Morfsta