[FFmpeg-devel] h264_annexbtomp4 filter ideas, was: Collection of patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Apr 25 17:27:43 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:48:35AM +0200, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
> >
> > I want the split API to be fixed!
> > So that the code in libavformat/utils.c:
> [...]
> > Still works
> >
> > requirements for teh new API are:
> > 1. it must not require a copy in cases where both "extradata" and the "frame"
> >    are continous (this is currently working fine)
> > 2. it must (with a memcpy somewhere) be able to extract the "extradata" even
> >    if they are not continous (like in the H264s discussed in this thread)
> >    (this does not work currently)
> > 3. it must still be used automatically in the code quoted above, the code
> >    of course can be change as needed ...
>
> to fix that it isn't sufficient to just return a split offset as it is
> know, split rather has to return a data block (pointer, length)
> containing the headers, this can be done without memcpy if SPS+PPS are
> contiguous in the stream. Additionally it has to rearrange the rest of
> the data as well.
> All uses of split and all split implementations would need to get
> adapted,

yes

> a major task.

well this is a huge exageration, there are not many split functions and
most are just 3 lines of code or so.

> I am not sure how do you want the split API to be in detail, how the
> returning of the values should be done etc. If one wants to solve that,
> the code using split needs to be changed as well.

It would b nice if the same API as the bitstream filters could be used.

> > Simply writing a new bitstream filter is half of the work, you need to change
> > the split api so it uses bitstream filters as well.
> I don't know how you would want the split API to make use of bitstream
> filters. Would that make sense? A better h264 splitting can be coded
> without bsf usage though
>

> >> I do want an annexbtomp4 which will be used instead of doing it in mp4
> >> muxer though :>
> >
> > I want this as well of course :)
> that would be much easier to have than an improved splitter, yes

You misunderstand, this is not an alterantive. Its a unrelated cleanup
that is moving the code currently in the mp4 muxer into a bitstream filter.

[..]

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle