[FFmpeg-devel] User-defined Plugin Possible?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Fri Aug 1 14:33:05 CEST 2008

Luca Barbato wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>> On date Wednesday 2008-07-23 09:36:48 +0300, Sun Meng encoded:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>>   My Master's thesis work is related to audio decoding algorithm. Is
>>> that possible to design user-defined plugin for FFMPEG? If so, which
>>> documents shoud I read? Thanks a lot!
>> Post this question on libav-user where it belongs, also I don't know
>> what you mean with plugin but FFmpeg is modular enough so that adding
>> a new codec/muxer/parser/etc. or adding new options to pre-existing
>> ones may be easily achieved.
>
> In that case this is the right ml since it would be developing something
> new for ffmpeg.

IMHO the OP meant by 'plugin' a user-supplied binary (probably a DSO)
that would automagically add itself to the registered codecs and muxers.
If so, then the question is indeed for ffmpeg-user *and* libav-user both
(you would use libav to code the plugin, but configure in ffmpeg - just
like vhook). But the answer would be simply: not supported.

Now what would be on-topic for -devel is *why*? Never proposed? Or
always rejected?

--
Michel Bardiaux
http://www.mediaxim.com/