[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 - interlacing artifacts fix: No balanced CPU-core usage

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Aug 11 21:20:54 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 01:07:21PM +0200, 'it's me' wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> sorry for this double post - i was not sure if "ffmpeg-user" list is appropriate for this question.
> referencing to the changes coming with this fix out of ffmpeg-devel list (H.264 & interlacing artifacts:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2008-July/050391.html) i must recognize a significant
> increase in CPU usage.
>
> Especially using ffmpeg (since SVN-r14496 where the fix is included) for decoding HD-live material via
> xine (ex. xineliboutput/vdr) the according processes (xine, vdr-sxfe) do not scale balanced between
> the 2 cpu-cores (2 threads). one core is at 100% now, which was not the case before the provider encoder
> changes (no IDR-/I-frames anymore). So live HD-channels are jerked now :(

We need a complere bugreport you are missing approximately 99%
which exact revissiom broke it
which file? url of where its available
how to reproduce? exact command lines, exact output from whatever tool you use
to identify cpu useage with old and new revissions

also this belongs to our issue tracker
i normally do not mind complete, short and clean bugreports on ffmpeg-dev
but this one doesnt look like one.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato