[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Multiple inclusion guards in headers

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Aug 17 22:22:08 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 10:06:09PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 09:40:46PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > I replied because of the license headers, not because of the inclusion
> > > guards, the lack of which I did in fact overlook.
> >

> > > Nothing is gained by committing rubbish intermediate versions to the
> > > repository
> >
> > it is not rubbish, it is the hisorically correct version.
>
> Nothing is gained by preserving a history of
>
> r1: fix typo
> r2: forgot ;
> r3: compile fix
> r4: real compile fix
> r5: this time, real real compile fix

I never commited such trash

> By the same token, some history *may* be worth preserving, but things
> like
>
> #if 1 --> #if TEST
>
> are just clutter and add no value at all.  It's better to commit the
> correct version right away.

i like commits cleanly split

[...]

> > Here with pca.c/h i posted the files and after ramiro the next days said he
> > could use them, i commited and then cleaned them up. Where where you all
> > the time, you did not consider reviewing the patches it seems, but are
> > rather quick at adding meaningless single word replies to commits of
> > patches that HAD been posted previously.
>
> Yes, I missed that it seems.  I'm plenty busy with other things already,
> helping SoC students among other things.
>
> It's not like I have done anything that would warrant you throwing around
> sarcasm in commit messages.  Which is extremely annoying because commit
> messages are an important part of the project history.

When i commit something that
1. has been posted previously and received no comments
2. clearly in its commit message says that ill clean it up immedeatly

i really do not see why you and mans have to jump in with attacks about
every little thing.

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle