[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Channel layouts

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Fri Aug 29 16:09:16 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> wrote:
> * Encoders will indicate their supported channel layouts in AVCodec, in the
>  same way we do for pixel and sample formats.

If you look at liba52 vs. faad API, it seems like certain codecs
aren't limited to fixed-layout styles. How will you support that in
the layout API, and how will encoders present that in their AVCodec?
E.g. how to distinguish left-right-lfe-back from left-right-back-lfe?

Ronald

PS the x,y,z channel position thing doesn't need to be supported, only
Matroska does that AFAIK and it basically always is a literal
translation from a channel layout such as here to litteral
coordinates. Just go back by approximation and it should be fine.
PS2 thanks for working on this, great addition and I've been wanting
to work on something like this for quite a while!