[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Applying trivial things vs. sending patches.

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Sat Aug 30 03:12:53 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 02:29:33AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > As the question of applying trivial things (typos, trivial optimizations,
> > > simplifications, ...) occasionally causes fights and flames i propose here
> > > the heal all ill solution ;)
> > >
> > > What about,
> > > Everyone who is ok with or is especially not ok with some things being
> > > directly commited to his code, should say so clearly in the MAINTAINERS
> > > file.
> >
> > Before resorting to this, is there anyone against trivial commit without
> > patch submission in code he maintains ?
>

> > (note that I'm not sure whether your latest dca.c commit can really be
> > considered trivial or not, I would say it is borderline)
>
> hmm, i considered it trivial, or rather i considered it
> uncontroversal, i mean less code, faster code, less memory ...; who would
> object to that?

I agree that it should be uncontroversial, but that's not the same as
trivial...
And I also think direct commit of small uncontroversial patch shouldn't
cause problems. But if such patch grows bigger, it's still safer to submit
it for review before.
(and no I don't say this apply to your dca.c commit, it's just a general
remark)

Aurel