[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Applying trivial things vs. sending patches.

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sat Aug 30 11:26:21 CEST 2008

2008/8/30 Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 03:12:53AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>> > hmm, i considered it trivial, or rather i considered it
>> > uncontroversal, i mean less code, faster code, less memory ...; who would
>> > object to that?
>>
>> I agree that it should be uncontroversial, but that's not the same as
>> trivial...
>
> I agree, optimizations are hardly ever trivial, and I would prefer it to
> be restricted to trivial (not that there is a clear definition for it).
> Optimizations IMO are very easy to do wrong (e.g. miss a special case),
> and I would not really want them to get less review by getting applied
> directly.

I agree, I also think it should be restricted to trivial (that is
small/obvious changes). I doubt there would be any objections to
changes such as the dca optimisation, but as that code is not under
Michael's maintainership, it is good to send a patch so the maintainer
can look at it. I would consider the change non-trivial.

I realise that Michael spots a lot of things some of us don't and so
may consider them trivial, but being nudged about them with a patch
would help me learn what this non-trivial to me change is and why it's
being made. I'm more likely to miss a direct commit.

Regards,
Rob