[FFmpeg-devel] Files crashing FFmpeg

compn tempn
Wed Dec 3 18:09:12 CET 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:30:09 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:44:45AM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

>> > What is the reason he gave for this nonsensical attitude?  Google uses
>> > open source all over in other places and employs a multitude of central
>> > open source devs...
>>
>> There were a number of excuses he tried to make for this.  (all quotes
>> aren't actual quotes)
>>
>> The primary one was that of patents, with regards to x264: "we
>> shouldn't publicly state we are using x264 because then people might
>> go after you for patent reasons."  There is some glimpse of reason to
>> this, as x264 is a rather small project that hasn't gotten takedown
>> threats just yet.
>
>The only case where this ever happened was libdts.  But the entity to go
>after x264 would be the MPEG-LA.  They have not shown this kind of
>behavior in the past 10 years or so, I do not expect they will in the
>future.

i wonder what happened to libvp62 ....

>Also note that none of the attempts to take down open source projects
>like this have ever been successful.
>
>> But then I asked him "well than what about ffmpeg?  Do you seriously
>> expect that companies would be more likely to go after ffmpeg for
>> patent infringement because Google uses them?"
>>
>> And he responded that "competitors to Google [e.g. Microsoft] might
>> choose to go after ffmpeg to try to 'get at google'".
>
>Complete nonsense of course.  Microsoft could also try to go after Linux
>to 'get at Google'.  Or after a ton of other projects where Google has
>not problem admitting they use them...
>
>> Yes, the reasoning is complete horseshit, but apparently they're hard
>> and fast on not making any public statement on using open source
>> software.  This is of course hilarious irony given Summer of Code and
>> other such programs Google runs.  By the way, the conversation began
>> when I asked him about the possibility of giving some credit to ffmpeg
>> and x264 (perhaps in some About section somewhere on the Youtube
>> site).
>
>Well, we can turn the tables around and expose that they do use FFmpeg
>and x264, together with some proof if need be.  That should settle these
>silly matters of secrecy.

maybe someone could visit a google headquarters and talk to a human.

from
http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/topic.py?dep_id=1060&loc_id=8371 :
Operations and IT (Michigan - Ann Arbor)

In little more than a decade, Google created one of the world's largest
global computing infrastructures for both internal and external use. We
built it ? and will continue to develop and support it ? with the
world's most talented administrators. Chances are that we exceed every
example of a "large installation" you've encountered in your career as
a network, systems or security professional. Using our unique
technologies along with open source tools, we keep Google's
customer-facing products running, robust and secure. Our objective is
to create solutions that allow people to work and communicate in new
and innovative ways ? giving back to the world's technical community
whenever we can. What's it like to work in Engineering?

open source tools huh? :)

-compn