[FFmpeg-devel] Possible new devices (ALSA, X11)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Dec 9 14:23:41 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:29:05PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> i dont know about libvo outside mplayer, someone like reimar or arpi should
> probably be able to awnser most accurately what exactly would be involved in
> this or how much work it is ...

Hm, I'd guess mostly adding several dummy global variable/global
function stubs. If you'd want VIDIX probably some additional mess.
For integration in ffmpeg, subopt-helper might be one of the annoying
dependencies since it is in the MPlayer root - but I don't think there
will be any objections to moving it (that of course depends on whether
you consider it acceptable to set vo options by passing a MPlayer-style
option string).
configure support will be another problem.
The API itself (except for lack of good documentation) I think should be
ok if you give up on slice and direct-rendering support for the beginning -
the real-world advantages of these are not as big as one would wish anyway.

> It might have been less work to improve libmpcodecs but people where more
> interrested in starting new it seems ...

I guess because, honestly, MPlayer code is ugly. On the other hand,
libvo contrary to libmpcodecs by now has received quite a bit of effort
to make it less ugly.
Also, contrary to filters, video output stuff has to deal with really
ugly things, in particular window managers and multiple monitors - I
think those problems are of the kind that only time can solve and
development effort helps little ;-).

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger