[FFmpeg-devel] Possible new devices (ALSA, X11)

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Dec 9 16:20:27 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 13:29 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:33:09AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > L'octidi 18 frimaire, an CCXVII, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> > > what about adding mplayer libvo support to ffplay?
> >
> > Is it possible to build and use libvo outside of mplayer? I am dubious about
> > that: I think I remember having trouble with a lot of memory allocation and
> > utility stuff. Making it possible would be a worthy effort, though.
>
> i dont know about libvo outside mplayer, someone like reimar or arpi should
> probably be able to awnser most accurately what exactly would be involved in
> this or how much work it is ...

There's also the question whether there exists any use for which a
solution based on ffplay+libvo would be easier to implement than one
based on full MPlayer.

> This also reminds me slightly of libavfilter, i wonder how far we would be
> had we tried to port libmpcodecs instead like i suggested originally ...
> surely libavfilter is able to do things now libmpcodecs cant but then its
> not yet finished and in svn, also its lacking actual filters ...
> It might have been less work to improve libmpcodecs but people where more
> interrested in starting new it seems ...

Any progress would require people willing to work on filters, and there
haven't been many working on libmpcodecs either.