[FFmpeg-devel] _t POSIX namespace issues

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Dec 11 20:13:19 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:03:36PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:31:43AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > So names ending in _t are reserved by POSIX.  Nonetheless we have tons
> > of them.  I thought about fixing these issues myself, but coming up with
> > good new names is tedious, so I propose to have each maintainer address
> > the problem in the files they maintain.  Here is a the result of a grep
> > for problematic names with maintainers, in no particular order:
>
> [...]
>
> > Michael Niedermayer:
>
> > libavcodec/h263.c:        if(qp_t)
>
> does the _t reservation also include local variable names?

I think it's better to disallow them everywhere so that newcomers do not
see bad examples.

> > libavformat/nut.h:} StreamContext;// maybe s/StreamContext/streamcontext_t/
>
> darn, its reserved in comments too ;(

Don't go giving people bad ideas :)

> > libavformat/nuv.c:} frametype_t;
>
> hmm, i do not maintain this nor am i listed as maintainer for it, you are
> reading and writing too quickly ...

Oh, right, it's Reimar's code..

> > libpostproc/postprocess.h:typedef void pp_context_t;
> > libpostproc/postprocess.h:typedef void pp_mode_t;
> > libpostproc/postprocess.h:void pp_free_context(pp_context_t *ppContext);
> > libpostproc/postprocess.h:void pp_free_mode(pp_mode_t *mode);
>
> should i fix these or are you working on them ?

I'm on it, see the next iteration of my patch.

> > libswscale/yuv2rgb_bfin.c:                            ltransform_t lcscf, int rgb, int masks)
> > libswscale/yuv2rgb_bfin.c:typedef void (* ltransform_t)(uint8_t *Y, uint8_t *U, uint8_t *V, uint8_t *out,
>
> i dont maintain *_bfin, i dont even know _bfin asm nor could i test bfin
> due to not having a bfin

This code was written by Marc Hoffman, can anybody else with Blackfin
knowledge comment?

Diego