[FFmpeg-devel] RED R3D CODEC SUPPORT

Burkhard Plaum plaum
Sun Dec 14 13:53:06 CET 2008

Hi,

Mike Melanson <mike <at> multimedia.cx> writes:
> I have never heard of this codec before. But no codec is too negligible
> for FFmpeg (type 'ffmpeg -formats' to corroborate this).
>
> Can you direct us to samples?
>
> Can you give a precise link to the SDK on their site? Does it have
> source or does it just specify how to link to their binaries? (Either
> one will provide valuable information.)
>
> Thanks...

R3D is not only a codec, it's also a container :)

The container is simple. Starting with a demuxer from blender, I reverse
engineered some missing parts, the result is here:

http://gmerlin.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gmerlin/gmerlin_avdecoder/lib/demux_r3d.c?view=markup

Audio is PCM, Video is a special JPEG-2000 variant: It has 4 planes,
2 for green, 1 for red and blue each. The color values are arranged
in a Bayer pattern. I use openjpeg for decoding this, it's damn slow
though (slower than realtime).

Burkhard