[FFmpeg-devel] Testing VDPAU patch for h264 decoding

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Dec 14 19:48:26 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 07:31:08PM +0100, Jean-Michel Pour? wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 19:21 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > Not to mention that I don't quite see how you mean the "trust" part,
> > you already trust NVidia enough to run their code in kernel space but
> > don't trust enough to run a patch to a userspace application by a
> > developer that in contrast to the kernel module developers is even
> > very much "publicly visible"?
>
> I don't trust frames being sent to a video card. This is like closed
> software to me. You don't understand what is goind on. Hardware decoding
> can only be used in a viewing environment, not to decode quality and
> reference steams.
>
> Typicaly, Kdenlive is a good example where we need fast decoding for
> viewing purpose, but where we would probably not accept to decode
> hardware and then encode during final rendering.

So what exactly is the point? You want to be sure that the patch does
not break any of the software en/decoding of FFmpeg?
You will have to wait until someone really pushes for review and
inclusion, which may take some more time. In the thread you referred to
we only commented on some things, there was no proper review yet.