[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] H.264/SQV3 separation: h264data.h

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Dec 17 01:35:33 CET 2008

As much as I loathe to get into this pointless discussion...

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:15:29AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:39:57AM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > What I said on IRC was that a 0.28% change in the h264 decoder tells
> > essentially nothing. A 0.28% slowdown in a benchmark is not a much
> > bigger sign of real slowdown than a 0.28% benchmark speedup would be. So
> > my claims there were about the interpretation of that one benchmark
> > result. After hearing of Diego's -0.28% result alone there was little
> > reason to expect the speed change to be consistently up or to be
> > consistently down. Only after knowing of my -8% result too was there
> > evidence of some effect that might make results consistently slower.
>
> An interrestingly convoluted way of saying you were totally wrong

No, it is just an interestingly convoluted way of saying that different
facts lead to different conclusions.

And now can you guys *please* just drop it?

I can use all the help I can get in trying to make heads or tails of
this.  It is puzzling all the assembler gurus why shifting a table
around has different effects in different places, you can imagine
I hardly know where to start looking for answers...

Diego