[FFmpeg-devel] Internal handling of subtitles in ffmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 18 19:50:18 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 01:01:43PM -0000, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have noticed that subtitles are sent internally in ffmpeg between
> > decoders and encoders as bitmaps, which is a bit limiting if one were to
> > introduce text-based subtitles.
>

> Text-based subtitles _are_ already supported, please check out
> CODEC_ID_TEXT et.al.

have you tried ffplay with CODEC_ID_TEXT ?

> > 1. Extend the "format" member of the AVSubtitle struct to include a text
> > format and eventually specific types of graphic formats
>

> The latter would of course be possible, but if that would be
> required I would suggest to use AVPicture instead as that could
> be AVFilter'ed more easily.

what?!
AVFilter on utf8 strings?

> > 3. Create a general purpose function to convert text into a bitmap
>
> Hmm, that would require complicated font handling.

so, users are supposed to not see the subtitles?
If they are supposed to see them text->bitmap IS mandatory

i did not look at the rest of your reply, you are confused

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle