[FFmpeg-devel] Internal handling of subtitles in ffmpeg

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Dec 18 23:32:01 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:12:31PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> What you suggest is _exactly_ what i want and what the original author
> suggested (if i understood it correctly) but with different terminology
>
> yours:
> ASS -(decoder)-> bitmap
> text_in_bitstream -(bitstream filter)-> ASS
> ASS -(bitstream filter)-> text_in_bitstream
>
> mine:
> ASS -(renderer)-> bitmap
> text_in_bitstream -(decoder)-> ASS
> ASS -(encoder)-> text_in_bitstream

Well, possibly, but I think my terminology matches the existing code
better, there is an actual bitstream filter to convert between mov and
plain text text subtitles, and the subtitle "renderers" are called
decoders right now.
I'd guess that the current architecture will need some changes, but it
might be a good starting point, especially to get something done
quickly.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger