[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG fails to convert .mov - "Cannot allocate temp picture"

fcassia fcassia
Wed Dec 24 12:07:54 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Baptiste Coudurier
<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> fcassia wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM, fcassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here is the problem file (it was a .mp4 recorded with the Neuros OSD
>>> Linux based PVR, and then opened and edited with Quicktime Pro for
>>> Windows version 7.5.5, then saves as .mov).
>>>
>>> http://the13thfloor.org/4friends/tigani-mide2.mov
>>>
>>> No matter what I try or the target format I choose, it always fails
>>> with the same error:
>>>
>  >> [...]
>  >>
>>> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]stream 0, error opening file //tigani-mide.
>>> mov: Invalid argument
>
> Your file is a reference file pointing to external file, however an
> error occurs when opening external file. You should check the path and
> access to '//tigani-mide.mov'.

Thanks for the pointer!. I knew something was odd, just wasn't sure
what. This is due to Qucktime PRO offering two choices when saving
files... either a "flattened" (wtf?) file (an individual video) or a
"pointer" (a file references a fragment of another).

The question is... perhaps this is an opportunity to add a warning or
error message to FFMPEG when it encounters such .MOV files?

Thanks,
FC