[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG fails to convert .mov - "Cannot allocate temp picture"

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Wed Dec 24 13:59:57 CET 2008

fcassia wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Baptiste Coudurier
> <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> fcassia wrote:

>>> Thanks for the pointer!. I knew something was odd, just wasn't
>>> sure what. This is due to Qucktime PRO offering two choices when
>>> saving files... either a "flattened" (wtf?) file (an individual
>>> video) or a "pointer" (a file references a fragment of another).
>>>
>>> The question is... perhaps this is an opportunity to add a
>>> warning or error message to FFMPEG when it encounters such .MOV
>>> files?
>> Well, an error message is already printed if the file reference
>> cannot be opened, the one I quoted.
>
> Yes, but it is mixed in the middle of a stream of errors.

Yes, some other problems are also present, all error messages are
printed when encoutered.

> I think it should just stop there and inform the user in more
> human-friendly terms that the file the user is attempting to convert
> has missing/unreadable parts.

Absolutely not, video track could not work while audio track could, so
there is no reason to stop there, and even when both tracks could not be
opened, .mov could contain metadata interesting for the user, and
furthermore, technically, the .mov file is valid and can be opened.

About the message, I think it is quite clear:
"[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]stream 0, error opening file
//tigani-mide.mov: Invalid argument"

I believe you should just pay more attention to what is written.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no