[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG fails to convert .mov - "Cannot allocate temp picture"

fcassia fcassia
Thu Dec 25 18:28:06 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So when I tell FFMPEG to convert a given .MOV file, it didn't cross
>> my mind that it could reference another one. The concept of
>> cross-referenced mov files is foreign to the world of Windows (and I
>> suspect, Linux users).
>
> You are absolutely wrong, this concept has been used for years in .mov
> files on windows and mac, especially to store essence files outside the
> .mov, .mp4 can use this mechanism too and is standardized.

Let me rephrase: "the concept of cross-referenced video files is
absolutely foreign to those that never used Quicktime files before",
thus, I suspect, most users on Windows and Linux.

The way to create a cross-referenced mov file is by purchasing
Quicktime PRO, which lets you edit and save mov files. Even if you try
to tell me that "there are a lot of quicktime users on Windows" the
vast majority of those just install the player-only "non-PRO" version.
Thus, what are the chances of a Windows user without Quicktime PRO to
know about cross-referenced .mov files?

I've been using computers since I was 8 years old (I'm 34 now). I've
known about Quicktime for about 10 years, as a player only, yet I
never dealt with editing MOV files with QT Pro until now.

Do you think my case is very rare?. I doubt it.

I'd like to see that error message more human-readable and explanatory.
FC